25 February 2014

Adventure Time in Iceland: Waterfalls, Geysers & Tectonic Plates


I'm completely in love with Iceland's beautiful scenery and I've been lucky enough to visit quite a few beautiful places on this planet but I think Iceland definitely ranks high on the list of most beautiful I've seen so far so we made time on this trip to visit some of Iceland's most popular natural wonders starting with Gullfoss




I've been referring to this place as the Prometheus waterfall but apparently that one is in the north but Gullfoss is still as epic, so beautiful encased in all that snow and ice it almost seems surreal, the trek down that icy staircase, freezing cold winds and temporary loss of feeling in my fingers were totally worth the view!




Next stop a visit to see Strokkur one of the few geysers in the world that erupts and lucky for us quite regularly, we timed it to go off about every 5 mins although while we were standing there it did a double eruption, it really was an amazing sight and a great reminder of just how magical and awesome nature is.




We ended our "Golden Circle" tour with a trek through Iceland's rift valley and actually saw where the Eurasian and North American plates meet which is pretty damn cool when you think about it, you can actually go scuba diving between them to although it was probably a bit to chilly to do that when we were there.


Iceland is so beautiful in the winter time but I would love to go back in the summer and see everything in colour, there is just so much natural beauty and amazing wonders to see there I hope I get the chance to visit again one day.

Snow Shoes & Hot Tubs
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment