23 February 2016

FYeahJapan: Ghibli Museum & Totoro Cream Puff Café

Studio Ghibli Museum

A visit to the Studio Ghibli Museum was high on my list of places to visit whilst in Tokyo so much so I reserved our visit months in advance which I would totally recommend doing as tickets sell quickly and you need to have tickets booked prior to your visit as they only let a limited number of people in a day to preserve the magic.

Studio Ghibli Museum

Studio Ghibli Museum

Studio Ghibli Museum

I adore the Ghibi Movies and own the whole collection, there's not a single one I don't like aside from Grave of the Fireflies which just is so sad I can't bring myself to watch it again but it's still a great movie even though it makes me ugly cry. Photo's aren't allowed inside the museum so I'm going to keep what we saw a secret but I will say everything was amazing and adorable and if you're lucky enough to visit you'll get to see one of their exclusive short movies, that day they were showing Mei and the Baby Cat Bus and oh my gosh it was the cutest I loved it!

Studio Ghibli Museum

There are so many little hidden details around the Ghibli museum so if you're lucky enough to visit be sure to keep an eye out for them and look in every corner, I also loved that so many of the exhibits were interactive although the giant Cat Bus was only for kids to play with, which I was kinda sad about because I mean who doesn't want to play in a giant Cat Bus?

Studio Ghibli Museum

Studio Ghibli Museum

Studio Ghibli Museum

The Straw Hat Café is the Ghibli Museum's exclusive restaurant they have an English menu to and although the selection is small what I loved most about them is that when we told them we were vegetarian they offered to make us a sandwich without meat which is a rare thing in Japan as they don't often allow you menu substitutions, it was very delicious to and much needed after a day of exploring I also adored the plate they served it on.

Shirohige's Totoro Cream Puff Shop

Speaking of food another place on any Ghibli fan's list to visit is Shirohige's Cream Puff Factory which sells Totoro shaped cream puffs in various delicious flavours. Shirohige's is near Setagaya-Daita station which is about 10 minutes away on the Odakyū line from Shinjuku so quite a distance away from the Ghibli Museum but definitely worth a visit as it's in such a cute area and if you're into Lolita fashion the Grand Bazaar shop is short walk away as well as an awesome 700 yen clothing shop and lot's of other cute shops and cafés, definitely an area I recommend you checking out.

Shirohige's Totoro Cream Puff Shop

The cream puffs cost between 400 - 440 yen each and are very filling, there is a shop and a café upstairs where you can eat them to but I would recommend buying them at the shop and eating them at the tables outside as they charge a more for them if you chose to eat at the café, they also sell little Totoro themed biscuits at the shop which I bought to give as gifts to my family. I chose the caramel banana flavoured cream puff and it was so delicious I would totally recommend it to anyone wanting to go there as it was one of the best things I've ever eaten so much so I even bought a strawberry flavoured one to bring home but the caramel banana flavour was definitely my favourite and I would go back to Japan just to have another!

Shirohige's Totoro Cream Puff Shop

Let me know what your favourite Studio Ghibli movie is in the comments
Love & Acorns
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment